Saturday, January 19, 2013

Fish in Scallion and Ginger Sauce

We have been trying to "clean up our diet" this last week, and with good results.  It is not that difficult once you set your mind to it.  Tonight we had a fish dish that we first ate in 2004 when we went on the South Beach Diet.  We loved it then and still love it.  Tonight it was exceptional and did I say, "easy"?




This  fish was easy to prepare and absolutely delicious.  Tonight we selected Turbot which we have never had before.  It is similar to Flounder, a fish without scales.  This is not the last time we will buy Turbot.   Along side, I sauteed a sliced onion, sliced peppers and a fennel bulb with garlic.  I have always loved the slight licorice flavor of fennel.  It is a must try.  I sauteed them in olive oil just a little, leaving them with quite a bit of crunch.

This recipe for the fish actually was out of The South Beach Diet cookbook.  I doubt it will disappoint.

Fish in Scallion and Ginger Sauce

1/3 cup dry sherry or vermouth
3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
About 1 pound of fish fillets  (orange roughy, cod, sole or flounder)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Mix the sherry or vermouth, soy sauce, sesame oil, onion,  ginger and garlic in a small bowl.

Place the fish fillets in an ovenproof casserole dish.  Drizzle the marinade over the fish and bake for 12 minutes or until the fish flakes easily.

Serves 2

Yes, that is all there is to it.  It will make you a fish lover all over again.



20 comments:

  1. You must be an exceptioanl cook, Susan, with all those beautiful meals you prepare and post. I love fish and am sure I would love this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds delicious - and it's going on the shopping list for this week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious and we are trying to do a little improvement in the diet area, too. Thank you! BTW, we have been roasting fennel with red peppers and red onions after seeing it on One Perfect Bite and it is one of our regulars! I'll have to try it your way, too. We love it! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some cod in the freezer and was looking for a yummy recipe. This is it and I love that it's so easy. Thanks Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan,

    Some of my favorite flavors. I have copied and pasted so maybe next week!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. As we are "cleaning up" too this is one recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. With recipes like this it isn't so painful to cut back on calories. I think I'll use Petrale sole when I make it. Thanks for sharing this, Susan. Lordy, I hate cutting calories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We eat a lot of fish - bet this would be good with just about any kind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds lovely and since I am on a diet very similar to south beach, it's a must try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good looking dish Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think many of us would like to improve our diets and get healthier....there are just too many delicious recipes out there to try.......like yours! This s a perfect dish for us dieters!!! Thank you for your kind comment about my souffles!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're right - this may even convert the hubs! I love fennel, too... and sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Turbot is great, not so easy to find here though. "Cleaning up" going on here too and this is a good recipe to make. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love ginger and this sounds perfect. Will not use Turbot though much as I love it. It is very expensive here. have a good weekend Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love fennel and this dish looks like a perfect dish for January when we all need to purge the excessive calories from the holidays. Will try it soon. David will be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm trying, Susan. I eat when stressed and this move has stressed me out. I need to get back to my normal eating habits.
    I smiled when I read where this recipe came from. Did we ALL go on this diet??

    ReplyDelete
  17. That does sound delicious, Susan! I have never tasted turbot but will look for it next time I'm at the store. I love fennel too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Susan, halibut season is just around the corner in the Pacific Northwest, and you kind friend have provided the perfect vehicle for its delivery right to my plate. Merci. Tom

    ReplyDelete
  19. this may be a perfect recipe! and I agree it will make anyone who tries it a fish lover!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cheers to your eating lifestyle-incredibly easy, healthy and delicious.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete