Thursday, June 30, 2011

Heurtoir...it was knocking!!

It was a plan, early on.  My obsession for door knockers had to be fulfilled...one last time!  We were in the perfect location...Provence.  It was Sunday, the largest antique day in the village of I'lsle sur la Sorgue.  But, it was raining.  Fear not...nothing will stop us.

We left early that morning, because as any of you know who have ever been to any kind of a market in a French town, parking is minimal.  You really have to plan ahead.

We were early enough to peruse the setting up of the individual tents and tables.  Early enough to enjoy a cup of coffee sitting near the church as the fruit, bread and cheese vendors were setting up.  That gave us time to decide which loaf of bread we wanted for the day.  Actually, we chose a loaf with Kalamata olives this day.

"Heurtoir" is what I was looking forward.  I had learned the French word and had a photo of what I wanted.  It saved time because I had a lot of looking to do.


Let me just say, that I was lucky enough to find 3 of them; I already have one at home.  They need a little loving care, but I am looking forward to finding them a new home.  As to how to display them, that is still a work in progress, but I am getting closer.  Thank you Trout, for letting me fulfill a crazy desire to obsess these old hands.

14 comments:

  1. I can see why you'd be obsessed. Hands interest me--from young and manicured to old and wrinkled, I find them fascinating.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are lovely, I must have a look around at the bric a bracs and see what I can track down. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. You found some real treasures, Susan. What a wonderful thing to bring home with you. I love the farmers' market in the early morning when booths go up and the market comes to life. I will be so interested to see how you display your heurtoir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll bet you had a blast at that market! I love the door knockers! What's the story behind them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so fascinating. I remember when you found your first knocker. A very individual thing to collect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen these in photos and they are charming! How wonderful to find three of them - lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your planning and early arrival paid off nicely. These are exquisite! Congratulations on a very successful quest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you were able to find the treasures you had hoped to bring home. It will be a unique collection and make for great conversation. Have a wonderful holiday. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those knockers. Now I have something new to search for - we need a knocker. Can't always rely on the dogs to notify us....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am loving your knockers..oh..I mean that in a nice way....it certainly was worth the effort to get up early for the mission. I did the same thing in Rome,but did not take a photo with me. Took me a bit longer to find what I needed. Next time, a photo goes along!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the way you and Trout live, seizing the day with gusto and verve, all while enjoying each nuance and fine moment.

    I have to say those knockers are mighty fine specimens of metal work and artistry. My current obsession is Victorian door bells, the twist knob ringers, though the trill of the ring sends Boz and Gracie into "pet-me" pandemonium mode for each visitor.
    Well wishes, safe travels, Tom

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susan, We have actually rented an apartment in L'isle sur la Sorgue for next summer for a week! It seemed like a good location (especially for antiques).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love them all. How special to find three door knockers. I will look forward to seeing what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are very HANDsome! :)

    ReplyDelete