Thursday, January 13, 2011

A survival story

It might not look like much, but this herb garden has survived several frosts.  Even a Roma tomato plant in the back is doing well, blossoming and it has green tomatoes.  You also see curly and flat leaved parsley, cilantro, tarragon, marjoram, a puny basil plant, thyme, dill.  It is just too cold for basil.

I would have to say that what saved us was a new purchase.  This year instead of covering the herbs with ugly bedsheets (you've seen those in yards, I know you have) or blankets, we bought a green frost blanket from Lowe's.  We hammered in some stakes and made a tent over the herbs.  I think we have used it at least 4 times this winter.  In fact, tonight is the last night, but I have faith we will get through tonight also.

In another area of the yard, we have our large rosemary bush and oregano.  Those two herbs are the hardiest of all.  Never have to worry about them or replant.

This week has been busy.  I was without my laptop for 3 days.  We are changing from a Dell to an HP.  Lots to learn with the change, but I did want to try to see if I could import a photo from the camera and post this blog.  I now need to catch up with everyone.

14 comments:

  1. Susan, so happy to see you up and running again and hopefully feeling better. I cannot believe the cold you are having; it is currently 54 degrees here, a day of rain and a forecast of the same into the weekend. Hope you get that HP going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you bragging that you live in the only state in the u.s. without snow? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a sorrel plant which was under many inches if snow without any protection. I am amazed now the snow has melted how hardy it is. It looks quite bright and chirpy :) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy, I really didn't want to bring up the "only state without snow" thing, but since you mentioned it...it is amazing isn't it? We have had it cold...in December and this week again. But...70's are acoming!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I has been a doozy of a winter everywhere. Good old rosemary - one of my favorite herbs and a surviver to boot.

    It was 36 yesterday morning in southwest Florida. I know that sounds warm if you're up north, but some people don't have heat in their homes here and the poor strawberries and oranges are crying enough is enough.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. I envy your herb garden in winter. We are enduring some particularly cold weather for us, which compared to others is nothing to complain about. Enjoy those fresh herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you're back in action! I'm envious of your herbs this time of year! All I can grow are icicles! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done!....with the new HP and with the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Susan, so glad to read a new post! I am a bit jealous of your herb garden and especially of your rosemary. They are tricky to overwinter inside - so sensitive about too much or too little water - and I love rosemary so much! But now I'm just thinking that spring is in the future and not terribly far off. I'll be in Florida for all of March and my daughters and grandchildren will be with me for half of that time. Good luck with your new computer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I brought my herbs inside when winter hit and they *still* didn't make it! Glad yours are hanging in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, how I wish I could see fresh herbs growing in my yard. It's so hard to keep them going indoors. Congratulations on keeping your garden alive and congrats on the new computer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your herb garden looks great, Susan! Fresh herbs are always welcomed in my kitchen. Glad you are up and blogging again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you're back. I love the idea for keeping herbs going through the winter. It's too late for this year but I'll try next winter. I hope you and Dale are both well. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alas, there is no way to "save" our herbs with the exception of the rosemary which is residing, rather sadly, on the kitchen counter. I can't wait for spring to replant pots and wait for the harvest!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete