Sunday, January 16, 2011

Hubert's Relish

Do you know of Hubert Keller?  As a Foodie, I am sure you have come across his name.  He is such a cutie!!  A French chef born in Alsace, France.  He has two restaurants named Fleur de Lys;  one in San Francisco and one in Las Vegas.  I love watching him on television.  He is so calm and soft spoken, and what a chef!!  One recipe of Hubert's we have made before is Double Salmon Burgers.  Once again, today, we were not disappointed. 

Yesterday at the seafood store, we debated between a piece of grouper or this piece of swordfish.  I'm glad we took the swordfish.  The Trout found his recipe for Lamb Burger with Roasted Red Bell Pepper Relish.  The lamb burger will be definitely tried in the future, but today, The Trout made the red bell pepper relish to go on the fish.  Good choice.  In fact, Trout said he could even see this relish on a pizza, burgers or chicken.  You name it...it will taste great.  Possibly just change out the herbs as we did today.

Our basil is hurting from all the cold weather, so we just bought some new and planted it this morning.  So, since we had lots of tarragon and marjoram, this was used and it tasted very good.

Red Bell Pepper Relish
by Hubert Keller, chef

1/4 tablespoon olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 plum tomatoes, blanched, peeled, seeded and diced
1 large bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced
1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
1 teaspoon sugar
6 basil leaves, minced
Salt and pepper to taste

The Trout did not roast the red pepper.  Because he omitted this step, it left a little crunch which was very nice.  As I said before, he substituted marjoram and tarragon for the thyme and basil.  Any herb would do nicely.

Heat saute pan over medium heat.  Add olive oil, onion and garlic.  Saute for 3 minutes or until translucent.  Add in the sugar, bell pepper, tomatoes, thyme and salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.  Stir in the fresh basil.

18 comments:

  1. All you had to say was French born chef and I was already in love :-) The red pepper relish looks delicious and the swordfish was a perfect type of fish to accompany the relish.

    Cheers.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful recipe that could be used so many ways. I'm going to try it on fish too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks beautiful and sounds delightful, Susan. We have some Alaskan halibut in the freezer and I know what we are having for dinner. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:36 PM

    I would love to visited one of his restaurants. I grew up across the french boarder on the German side and we visited Elsass a lot. Great restaurants. Loved the Flammkuchen!!
    What a wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom fixed swordfish often while we were growing up and it's still a favorite of mine. This looks like the perfect relish to top it. I'm just itching for Summer so we can get our garden going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice accompaniment to fish! I will definitely be adding this to my list! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay you two...every time I come over here, I leave hungry. Man your recipes look good!

    I think you both missed your calling, chefs!!! Seriously!!!!


    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. In our snowplow happy climate fresh basil is elusive in our gardens for the moment, but you can still find huge bags of it at the grocers. Thank goodness for greenhouses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This relish looks so fresh and flavorful. I imagine it would be delicious served many ways. It's amazing what a spoonful can do for a piece of grilled fish or a chicken breast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love Keller...he's often a judge on Top Chef. You're right, he's very soft spoken AND talented.
    Can't wait to try this relish! Good work, Trout!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks delicious, a feast for the eyes as well as the palate. I love colorful food, at all times of year, but especially when the snow is on the ground!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My container basil bit the dust too. I am getting a new plant this week. I refuse to let this cold Florida weather get the best of me. Surely it will get warm again soon. This relish sounds delicious. My compliments to The Trout.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this and I thinkk it woudl go very well with my orange roughy we are having for dinner;thank you; great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The relish sounds really delightful, Susan. It is always so nice to have a great relish to add a bit of zest to a meal. I'll wager this one is delicious. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so pleased you shared the red pepper relish recipe - thank you! I grow them every year and have been hunting for a good relish/chutney recipe to use them up with . . . this one sounds great. I would not have thought of using it with fish and am going to give this a try!

    I must also add I think your photos are really good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am defintely looking for healthy dishes and this fits the bill perfectly Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hubby took me to his restaurant in San Francisco years ago, and it was good. We also love swordfish, and this would be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete