Saturday, January 22, 2011

Fish and Shrimp....everyone is happy!

I have a new blog to which I have become addicted.  I found Chef Dennis some weeks ago.  Actually, he found me.  I received an email from him asking permission to use one of my photos.  I had no problem with his request and got very interested in what his blog looked like. 

Chef Dennis is the Chef director of dining services at Mount Saint Joseph Academy in Pennsylvania.  He cooks for 560 girls every day, and I think he is amazing.  I have emailed him with questions about blogging, specifically photos, and have always gotten an immediate response.  He is definitely worth reading.  Please go to   More Than a Mountful and check out his great food blog.

This evening we deviated from one of his recipes slightly, but still found it delightful.  A change because monk fish is impossible to find around here, we substituted cod.  Instead of broccolini, we switched to spinach.  This dish is very, very nice, and I know we will make it often.  Thanks, Chef!!



Monk Fish Scampi

12-14 ounces of cleaned monk fish
6 Jumbo shrimp, cleaned and deveined
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
splash of white wine
2 oz. chicken stock
1/2 cup canned plum tomatoes, chopped
1 cup broccolini cooked and chopped
1/4 cup cooked linguine
2 tbsp Romano cheese
1 tbsp butter

Cook monk fish with olive oil and sea salt and black pepper to taste.  Roast in a 400 degree oven for about 18 minutes, depending upon thickness of fillet.  In a saucepan, add olive oil, chopped garlic and gently saute garlic and then add shrimp and plum tomatoes.

Saute shrimp until almost done, remove from pan.  Add splash of white wine to stop cooking and deglaze pan.  Add chicken stock and Romano cheese.  Remove 1/3 of sauce from pan and add to shrimp on the side.

Now add chopped broccolini to the pan and continue to saute.  Then add cooked linguine and toss to mix and remove from heat.

In another pan reheat the shrimp and sauce as soon as the monk fish is done.  Add one tablespoon butter to the scampi sauce while reheating and top sauce with shrimp over the monk fish.  Serve with the pasta.

In addition to switching to cod and spinach, we also used Parmesan instead of Romano.  Next time I would add red pepper flakes for an extra kick. 

16 comments:

  1. Looks good! I'm having shrimp & scallops over pasta tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Chef Dennis's blog. I follow it and always leave inspired.

    Great dish!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful recipe and I love your changes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm now I feel hungry :) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love scampi! I've never done it with anything but shrimp but can imagine the added texture and taste would be wonderful. Chef Dennis is not only a sharer of the best recipes, he's a very interesting fellow!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chef Dennis does have a great site Susan. You won't believe it, but we found fresh monk fish at Publix the other day. We brought it home and Meakin cooked it in the oven and it was delicious. I'll have to give your recipe a try.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've followed Chef Dennis for some time now and am always inspired when I read his posts. He has shared some fantastic recipes. Thanks for sharing this one, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy to hear that you enjoy my blog!! Thank you so much for recreating my dish and for the mention, I hope you enjoyed your creation!
    Cheers
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd be more than happy to give this recipe a try, Susan. It sounds heavenly and I like the substitutions you've made.
    The only problem is you've got me thinking about dinner before I've had breakfast. I hope you and Dale have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice adaptation, Susan! Dennis has a wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great easy and healthy recipe. Chef Denis has an active blog and am not surprised he would ask for your photo; they are so professional and so is your blog.I can't find monk fish very oftern around here, but we love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks delicious, I love anything with shrimp! Don't you love that about cooking recipes, so easy to tweak with what you have in your pantry!

    Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful day! I will definitely check out his blog!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous12:10 PM

    Happy Birthday Dale. rw

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the name of your blog! So creative! I came over from Sam's site, and Dennis also has a great blog...so many great things. I have to find Monk fish again, and make this dish. Great idea and it looks so yummy. Going to explore more of your site now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Susan, it looks delicious! Chef Dennis has a great blog with the best recipes!

    ReplyDelete