Saturday, December 18, 2010

Sausage and Red Pepper Ragu

This fall while The Trout was sitting in a doctor's waiting room, he came across a recipe in a magazine, tore it out (is there a law or something?) and brought it home.  Tonight we made this for the second time and we really do like it a lot.  The aroma while it is cooking is outstanding and the flavor is top notch!

We served this over a slice of grilled Ciabatta bread.  It is simple to put together and tastes so very good.

Sausage Fest, Italian Style
by way of Chef Victor Casanova
Culina restaurant, Los Angeles

2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp red dried red pepper flakes
3 Italian sausages (we use Johnsonville)
1 onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell peppers, seeded and cut in strips
14 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tsp. fennel seeds
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

In a large skillet, warm the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the pepper flakes and swirl.  Immediately add the sausage (which we have skinned and cut into chunks) and the onions.

Cook the sausage with the onions for 5-7 minutes to caramelize well.  Add the garlic, peppers, tomatoes, wine, fennel seeds, salt and pepper.

Cook over low heat for 30 minutes.  Serve with rustic Italian bread.  We also topped the ragu at the end with chopped fresh basil.  This could also be served over pasta or polenta.  A quick and very, very nice meal.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds good, looks good--I'd say purloined recipes can be very tasty!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good golly, that sure looks might tasty! May have to try that sometime. Glad to know I'm not the only one that tears out pages. I don't do it that often. Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really tasty. I have a nice recipe with sausage and beans which I have not made for ages, thanks for reminding me. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear wife Schnitzel forgot to mention my expert wine selection to accompany this great Italian repast - a 2004 Tiberini Vino Nobile - Le Caggiole - a wonderful Chianti like wine that Wine Spectator rated an 87 and descibed it as "black cherry, prune, dried herbs, licorice" and a lovely finish - it was lovely in the nose and all the way down!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you see you're still using Wisconsin sausage ;) I've torn a recipe out of a magazine in a waiting room too! I feel guilty but it's not anyone else is going to use the recipe while it sits in an office.

    This sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is something about sausages and peppers together that we just love - could serve this over pasta, over rice, on bread (like you) or just in a bowl (for me - then I can eat more of it ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings! This is my first time visiting your blog. And I copied this recipe, so thank you for sharing! I make a delicious Sausage, Pepper and Onion hero, but this sounds delicious with the wine and the other ingredients. I would like to serve it over bread too, or maybe pasta also! Yum!
    Best regards,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see why hubby had to tear this recipe out-it looks soul satisfying! The idea of serving it over a slice of ciabiatta bread is a really good one. I am going to remember that one.

    Happy Holidays to you and your family.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sausage and red pepper. That is a winning combination in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sausage and peppers are always a great combo and I love the basil you added.

    Merry Christmas to you and the Trout.
    Sam

    P.S. I tear recipes out from time to time too. If I'm feeling guilty or I think someone is watching me, I will ask someone in the office to copy them for me. Sometimes they'll just tell me to take the magazine. Either way, I can't resist recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see why Trout clipped the recipe. This sounds terrific. I hope you are both enjoying these days before the holiday. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Susan, this souds delicvious, I make something a bit similar with lentils, also very nice winter comfort food.
    BTW have a look at my blog, there is a little surprise for you (you have to read until the end of the last posting though)
    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete