Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Herbed White Bean and Sausage Stew

We finished a long but good week at Disney.  We volunteered for the Children's Miracle Network golf classic and worked 6 days and several of those were 12-hour days.  It was all for a good cause and we worked with the same crew for the last four years.  It is kind of like a reunion week for all of us.

So, now it is time to get back in the saddle and start preparing for the holidays.  Oh, yes, except for the one more interruption.  We are also volunteering at the LPGA golf classic the first weekend in December. 

The Trout found this recipe a couple of weeks ago in the NY Times.  I was surprised how quickly it came together and no, don't soak the dried beans overnight.  They cook up nicely in 2 hours.  The addition of the balsamic vinegar at the end seemed odd, but we liked it and even added more to the bowl.  A nice touch. 

Herbed White Bean and Sausage Stew
Time 2 1/2 hours    from the NY Times

2 tablespoons olive oil, more for serving
1 pound sweet Italian sausage, sliced 3/4 inch thick
1 tablespoon tomato paste (Be sure to try the tomato paste in a tube.  So convenient)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 medium carrots, finely diced
2 celery stalks, finely diced
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 pound dried Great Northern Beans, rinsed and picked through
8 cups water
2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
2 thyme sprigs
1 large rosemary sprig
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, more for serving
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, more to taste

Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.  Add the sausage and brown until cooked through, about 7 minutes.  Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel.

Add the tomato paste and cumin to the pot.  Cook, stirring until golden brown, about 2 minutes.  Add the carrots, celery, onion and garlic.  Cook, stirring until the vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes.  Stir in the beans, 8 cups water, salt, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf.  Turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil.  Then reduce heat to low and simmer gently until the beans are tender, about 2 hours, adding more water if needed to make sure the beans remain submerged.

When the beans are tender, return the sausage to the pot.  Simmer for 5 minutes.  Stir in the vinegar and pepper.  Taste and adjust seasonings.  Ladle into warm bowls and serve drizzled with additional vinegar and olive oil.

Yield:  6-8 servings

9 comments:

  1. I saw that recipe too but haven't tried it yet. I remember the remark about not having to soak the beans. Glad to read your review and the comment about the balsamic. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate the review and tips on this one. I love sausage and white beans. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy moly that looks scrumptious! I need to get my printer going again so I can print this and some others you've posted lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a similar recipe which is delicious on a cold night and so filling. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I clipped this recipe too! Thanks for your review as I've put the beans on my grocery list. I have started adding a little balsamic to a number of soups and some stews. I like the little oomph that it gives.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummmmmmm! Perfect for this time of year...I want to make some Hungarian Jokai bean soup. There is a recipe here: http://www.chew.hu/jokai_bableves.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Though I am not a big bean eater, my husband would love this. He has been making alot of beans lately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a dish that is right up our alley. It sounds perfect to me. Will give it a try. I hope you will be a part of the Kitchen Reveal this year. Would love to spend some time looking at your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will be trying this. I love white beans and am always looking for recipes with them.

    ReplyDelete