Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Chicken and Orzo Frittata

A beautiful, chubby, Costco roasted chicken was in the refrigerator, so the left-overs were just right for this lovely recipe from Giada De Laurentiis.  While I was putting it together, I kept thinking, "Giada did not add any cheese to this...how odd."  Of course, creme fraiche is not something you find in abundance in 'gator country', so I substituted Fage Greek yogurt.  Still, no cheese?

This baked up beautifully and was very tasty, but...we need to add some fresh thyme and possibly just a little bit of cheese.  We enjoyed this with a fresh lettuce salad with a lemon vinaigrette.

Chicken and Orzo Frittata
courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis

3/4 cup orzo pasta ( I used whole wheat orzo)
6 eggs
1/3 cup whole milk ricotta
1/4 cup creme fraiche (I used Fage Greek yogurt)
2 cooked chicken breasts, cubed, about 2 cups
4 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup chopped Italian falt-leaf parsley
1/3 cup diced roasted red bell peppers
1 teraspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat over to 375 degrees.

Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.  Add the orzo and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes.  Drain pasta.

In a large bowl combine the eggs, ricotta, and creme fraiche and stir until the eggs are beaten and the ingredients are combined.  Add the cooked orzo, chicken, scallions, parsley, red bell peppers, salt and pepper.  Stir to combine.

Pour the mixture into a 1 1/2 quart baking dish and bake for 25 minutes.  Turn on the broiler and place the pan under the boiler until golden on top, about 5 minutes.  Remove from the oven and let set for 5 minutes.  Cut into wedges and serve with a side salad.

Actually, I am looking forward to having some of the left-overs for breakfast.

8 comments:

  1. Leftovers will be perfect for breakfast. I'm with you - some cheese in there would be really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great looking hearty, egg dish, Susan! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This frittata can be enjoyed anytime of day. This is a great dish. I agree, I would add a little cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, looks and sounds wonderful. Adding a salad, and what is not to love about this, beside a nice glass of wine for a delightful evening meal?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic way to use up left overs. I quite fancy a slice of this. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a good dish and I especially think the leftovers would be perfect for breakfast or lunch. The addition of a little cheese sounds good to me. I was just thumbing through Gaida's new cookbook at Target yesterday.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, I bet this would be good for breakfast. I think I would opt for the addition of a little cheese too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I've ever seen a frittata with orzo in it but I love the idea! This sounds delicious and I would add more cheese than just the ricotta too.

    ReplyDelete