Thursday, September 2, 2010

Honey Roasted Cipollini Onions..Tyler Florence

Thank you, Tyler Florence, for this lovely recipe. I have seen cipollini onions before, but avoided them because I was not sure what to do with them. Then, this week, Tyler Florence prepared this wonderful recipe. I knew we had to try it.

The Bichon and I both went into Missoula today for "grooming". I think the results are about equal, as was the cost. We stopped in a "Good Food" grocer. I have not done enough homework yet to figure out why this place is called "Good Food," as it totally resembles "Whole Foods." Anyway, they had these beautiful cipollini onions and I knew the rest of the ingredients, so as soon as we got home, I started on the onions. Cipollini's are small, round and flat. Very distinctive compared to regular onions.

The honey roasted onions are beautiful. We had a light dinner with a fresh baguette and the honey roasted cipollini's, an olive brushetta that the Trout prepared and a beautiful fresh goat cheese. A bottle of red along with this light meal was delightful.

Honey Roasted Cipollini Onions - recipe courtesy of Tyler Florence

15 cipollini onions
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
about 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup honey
1/2 bunch thyme, leaves removed
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Add the onions to a large bowl, cover with hot water and allow to sit for about 5 minutes. This is to help make peeling the onions much easier. Strain onions and peel.

In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup oil, vinegar, honey, thyme, salt and pepper until combined. Put the onions in a large bowl, pour the dressing over them and toss well to coat.

In a large saute pan over medium high heat, add about 2 tablespoons olive oil and heat. Once hot, add the onions. Next place the saute pan into the preheated oven and roast for 18 to 20 minutes until the onions are soft and slightly caramelized.

10 comments:

  1. We love the cippolini onions done this way. I have a hard time finding them, even in Chicago. I grab them every time I see them. Thanks for the reminder.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyler Florence never lets me down. He adds simple ingredients, and turns things into a show piece. These are definitely a show stopper. Sounds like a lovely healthy vegetarian dinner. I'll take a glass of white with mine, please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe sounds lovely - can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice way to prepare these onions. I have to be honest and tell you I have never heard of cippolini onions up here.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am impressed with the gourmet goodies you find in Montana Susan. First veal shanks and now cipollini onions.

    You are in foodie heaven up there. "Good Food" is the perfect description for your grocer. It wouldn't take me long to get spoiled.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does sound wonderful, Susan. Thanks for the tip about soaking the onions for a few minutes. I had a heck of a time peeling them the last time I cooked them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first (and last) time I made them I wasn't happy with the results. This recipe sounds so much better! Hopefully, my grocer still carries them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This recipe looks amazing! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! We are real onion lovers here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to work in a local market that sold these onions. I've never tried them. What is wrong with me anyway. I think I was like you actually...I didn't know what to use them for. Your entire meal sounds amazing! I'm off tomorrow to find these onions!

    ReplyDelete