Thursday, August 12, 2010

A favorite creek and friends

While our friends were traveling out West, they made a turn and decided to spend a couple of days with us. This thrilled us as we have been friends for almost 30 years. The Trout took Jim to his favorite creek while Laurie and I went shopping. Sounds like a fair deal, right?



Jim was very happy with his catch of the day. Though the weather provided showers off and on, the fish were still biting.

The beauty of this stream, with only the sound of the babbling water flowing over the rocks, makes this a very favorite of the Trout.


Here he is showing off one of the beautiful trout that was quickly released back into the waters. This is a "catch and release" stream only. It is a beautiful way to save the fish for future generations.



But, while the Trout was lake fishing the other day, he did catch a good sized Rainbow which he smoked with good results. Years ago, we had a terrific recipe for a marinade, but through our moves, it was lost. It is now put together with memory and turns out pretty good. Perhaps a little more brown sugar or maple syrup next time will perfect it.




14 comments:

  1. I can see why you love spending time there. That stream is picture perfect and the trout looks like it made a delicious meal.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to see you in town that day and meeting your friend Laurie, she was so nice.

    Love the pics, that one of Trout in the creek is priceless!

    Hope to see you again soon my friend! Oh and thanks again for the replacement, you know.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a nice place to take visitors, I'm sure the shopping was just as fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:12 PM

    Hey-- where is my picture??? LOL I am too goofy to put in there. Ya-- I know, you don't want to be embarrassed by your goofy friends. We had a great time and enjoyed the life in the Montana Mountains. Great memories and fun times. Hey, I even drank wine and did not go giddy. There you go-- learning something new everyday.
    Lots of love-- Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous pics! And I've always wanted to try cooking/smoking/preparing a whole fish, head tail and all...especially lakeside like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must confess that Jim's pic did not do justice as this one was not his best of the day!! all of his other 6 were larger and he topped me 7 to 5!! I do enjoy helping another sportsmen a chance to enjoy beautiful Montana!!

    anyone with a good brining receipe let us know!! TROUT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susan!

    He looks so proud of catch!!!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fishing is so relaxing. I have not fished in years perhaps I should think about it again but now I have no rods. They all got left in S.Africa! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic place you are in. Looks like a little corner of heaven just for you, Great pictures,
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  10. That stream looks like heaven to me! And, friends of the thirty year variety are precious treasures indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you are enjoying your summer and I'm certainly enjoying your photos and stories of Montana. Smoked trout...yum.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a wonderful thing to meet up with old friends and I bet you were thrilled to see them. Sounds like you're having a fun, enjoyable summer, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a beautiful stream and very nice looking trout!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh I wish we could have seen you guys this summer.... I miss those big Troug hugs and the sweet Sue smiles... love you both and so glad that your having a great time!

    ReplyDelete