Monday, April 19, 2010

Basil, Pesto equals Pasta

The herbs in our rectangular boxes are growing beautifully. Decided to make them more portable this year, but still not quite sure what we will do with them when we leave for the summer. The basil is doing so beautifully, we knew we had to make pesto before we leave this weekend. It is one of our favorite ways to eat pasta, especially if it is right out of the garden.

Here is the pesto after running through the food processor. Patiently waiting for the pasta to boil and join it in the bowl.


Linguine with Pesto Sauce
Linguine con pesto
3/4 cup fresh basil leaves
3-4 cloves of garlic, peeled
3 tbsp pine nuts
1/2 tsp salt
5 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
freshly ground black pepper
1 1/4 lb linguine
serves 5-6
Place the basil, garlic, pine nuts ( I have successfully substituted walnuts), salt and olive oil in a food processor and process until smooth. Remove to a bowl. If desired, the sauce can be frozen in this state before adding the cheese.
Stir in the parmesan. Taste for seasoning.
Cook the pasta in a large pot of rapidly boilings salted water until al dente. Just before draining, take about 4 tbsp of the cooking water and stir into the sauce. Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce. Serve immediately.
We added two grilled Italian sausages to this meal and enjoyed it very much. A 2008 Carmenere Casillero del Diablo from Chile topped the taste buds perfectly.

15 comments:

  1. Your herb boxes are beautiful, Susan. I'll be happy to babysit them while you are gone. And I would promise to pinch them back on a regular basis. Pesto sauce is a favorite here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pasta with pesto is simply the best. I love the aroma of basil in every bite. I'm so jealous of your home-grown herbs. I wish I had time to do that.

    xo

    Nisrine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can almost smell the basil. It smells and looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so envious of your gorgeous container basil! The snails are enjoying mine, so I need to buy more plants. LOVE pesto! I can almost taste this pasta, it looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks absolutely delishious. I will be planting my basil plants this week. Can't believe it is time for you to go west already. The Florida weather has been so mild this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What glorious shades of green! The pasta looks wonderful and I'm sure it will be delicious. With your trip coming up so soon, you must be mad for the waiting. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pasta with pesto! I traveled so much last year that my herb garden died. This year I am not even going to try. Your beautiful photos make me sad about my decision.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG Susan...your killing me over here. My favorite!!!! Please make this for us this summer, please, please, okay now I'm begging! LOL

    We'll bring dessert....

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much fun that so many love basil and especially, pesto. Chris, I will make the pesto this summer for sure and you are definitely invited. Dessert....yum! Looking forward to seeing you very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your herbs are gorgeous Susan. Great idea to make pesto. I know you must be looking forward to your trip over the big pond. I hope you and the Trout have a great time.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan, I'm back again to thank you for your kind words. They are appreciated and mean a lot to me. Hugs...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! I love it all. Basil, pesto, pasta. Thank you for sharing.

    :)God Bless
    http://thewaywehomeschool.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Susan! You have me so envious with your gorgeous basil at this time of year.

    Basil and the more tender herbs are annuals here, and I cannot even begin to plant seedlings for 2 weeks or so (because of threat of frost.) I definitely have basil envy!

    Beautiful post, my friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, what is as wonderful as Pesto?

    Well, many things are very special, but this is right up there with the very best! I can't wait to plant my annual herbs, but it's still just a bit early for northeast Ohio......But yesterday I got the first veggie delivery from the CSA farm I belong to! What a glory of
    bok choy and Russian kale and new lettuces! I love herbs and vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  15. haha love your title! this is my version of pesto and pasta, using thai basil and glass noodles (:

    http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/03/panfried-shrimps-with-glass-noodles-in.html

    that photo looks so yum btw!

    ReplyDelete