Monday, January 18, 2010

Guacamole Salad


My records show that this is the third time we have made Guacamole Salad. It is a recipe from a favorite lady of mine, The Barefoot Contessa. We have been eating more and more salads since trying to shed some weight and this one was perfect tonight with a grilled chicken breast. If I haven't done so before, due credit is given to the Trout for picking out recipes and preparing them. I am good at cleaning up and help with any baking necessary. And as we frequently say around our house, "You're the gourmet around here, Eddie!"

This is an easy recipe and we enjoy it very much. Feel free to make minor changes to make it your own as we do.

Guacamole Salad
Compliments of Barefoot Contessa at Home

1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and 1/2 inch diced (we used a luscious red pepper)
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup diced red onion (we used a shallot)
2 tablespoons minced jalapeno peppers
1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 2)
1/4 cup good olive oil
pinch of kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (we used a squeeze of Sriracha hot sauce)
2 ripe Hass avocados, seeded, peeled and 1/2 inch diced

Place the tomatoes, pepper, black beans, onion, jalapeno peppers, and lime zest in a large bowl. Whisk together lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper, garlic and cayenne pepper and pour over the vegetables and toss well.

Just before serving, fold the avocados into the salad. Serve at room temperature.

Just enough leftovers for lunch tomorrow. We really like salads with a lot of lime zest and juice. Lemons are also good, but limes give a more tropical flavor.


10 comments:

  1. Thank You for the recipe! It looks good.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have decided to join Weight Watchers this week, so I'm sure this salad will be fixed soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Barefoot Contessa too. I've not made this particular recipe with the black beans (love black beans), but we have made her guacamole out of her first book and it's great. I think the garlic makes a big difference. You're inspiring me to give South Beach a try.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious. I haven't made this recipe but I think its time has come. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, Ina is one of the best at making things easy & taste good. Not only is this salad delicious looking, it also is filled with a great balance of ingredients that are good for us.

    Thank The Trout for finding & making this terrific salad...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, this salad is like a bowl of all of my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Avocado yum!! That salad looks great! I'm going to have to try that real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks fantastic Susan! Must try it at my house. I truly enjoy reading your blog- your lovely daughter clued me in.
    Hope you are enjoying Florida!
    Kara Nelson Schoenecker

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I love guacamole and the idea of making a salad with it sounds very appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious .. and those avocados! Although I try to eat seasonal food, I let muyslef be tempted by avocados once in a while!

    ReplyDelete