Sunday, December 20, 2009

Duck and wild rice

A very nice 2002 Tamarack Cellars Merlot we picked up on a visit to Walla Walla, Washington, several years ago. Hmmm..what goes with this?


One entree we do not eat enough of is roast duck. We love duck. Heaven knows, we ate it for 2 weeks straight when we were in the Dordogne of France. I will admit I have not roasted a duck in quite a while. 1) They are not easy to find..always frozen. 2) I just forgot about it.

A trip to Costco netted this beauty. Granted, it was already roasted and sealed airtight, ready for reheating, but, it was so good! We truly enjoyed it with some wild rice I have been hoarding for quite some time. This is Minnesota grown wild rice and we do like it a lot, but do not eat it often. It is just not the easiest thing to find.



I would definitely buy this duck again. It was two halves of a duck with prepared orange sauce which was also very good. We have decided though, that we will make an effort to search out more duck and maybe even a goose, because we do love these two birds. A very, very nice change from chicken.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds great. I have had duck a few times and agree, it is a nice change from chicken. The wine sounds like a very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, roasted duck is one of my favorite things. But, as you say, hard to find sometimes. I don't have a Costco near me, but I would drive mikes to get this delicious looking duck. I like your pairing the Merlot, another favorite.

    Thanks for sharing this with us, now I will keep my eyes out for this great product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Susan, for the info about finding duck at Costco. Going there can be like a treasure hunt. We never know what we'll find. If I'm brave enough I may try to stop by today for other things so will check it out.

    Happiest holiday wishes to you and The Trout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I ever had duck until I came to France. I've discovered duck breast with cherries-fabulous.

    ReplyDelete