Sunday, December 13, 2009

Do you need some rosemary?

Here you see our rosemary bush. It was bought in the fall of 2006 in a little 3" pot and probably costing no more than $3. We planted it and hoped that we might get some rosemary out of it because we use it a lot with lamb and chicken. Now, three years later, this 'thing' is unbelievable. What I find strange is that it has never blossomed. Discussing this with the Trout, I mentioned that perhaps this is a male plant. I know some plant species are definitely male and female with the female doing all the blooming. (Now isn't that just about right?) I mentioned that this must be a male.

This rosemary scrub has been pruned every year and still it grows and grows. After a rain, you can smell it the minute you step out of the car or go out the front door. I remember a week we spent in Tuscany. The beautiful home we rented had a hedge of rosemary and it was absolutely delightful. At that time, I never dreamed I could grow rosemary this beautifully.

We have used rosemary a lot and have told our neighbors and friends that if they need rosemary for cooking, please come and gather what they need. As far as I know, no one has ever taken us up on this. To be honest, I think the Trout and I are the only ones in the near distance that use rosemary, but I can't imagine cooking without it.

So, if you are in the area, please stop by and gather some rosemary for your dinner.

9 comments:

  1. Oh man, would I love to have that plant in my backyard. Herbs suffer through the winter here in the cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan... You & The Trout need to call your local grocery stores and start supplying them with fresh rosemary. That is one "blooming" plant... using an entirely different definition of blooming a course!

    As for ladies being the fairer 'blooming' species, you definitely have that correct. Where would we men be without our lovely wonderful creative ladies to keep us in line.

    Oh, by the way... the slogan for your rosemary business ~ Got rosemary?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine cooking without rosemary either. We love it and it grows beautifully here in the mountains, although we do protect it if the temp is going below 17 or 18. We had a huge rosemary bush when we lived in the islands and all of the neighbors came and got some as you suggested. Ours bloomed here in the mountains last year but never did further south. Maybe it's the climate?
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. A rosemary bush is such a blessing. My boyfriend's parents have a giant one,but I can't keep one alive in my Brooklyn apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grow it too, and it is lovely. last year I had two shaped into Christmas trees by the front door. Great fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use Rosemary a lot too and mine have always flowered. After flowering is the best time to prune too so if they do not flower I guess you prune in the Spring. Without pruning they go all woody and floppy which I guess you know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy I stumbled upon your beautiful blog! Would really like to try that Gypsy Schnitzel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with George...find a way to market that stuff! You could use the money to finance a trip back to Tuscany;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish it would grow here in Iowa. I put it on chunked potatoES. and bake them with garlic great.

    ReplyDelete