Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Knit one, purl two



While visiting the grandchildren this fall, 5-year-old Rachel asked me for a favor. When she was 3, I knit a hat for her that has turned into a favorite. But, now that she is in kindergarten, it is a little on the small side. So, when I got back home, I ordered the yarn and just today finished her hat.

It is the cutest little hat and very easy to knit. I used the Norwegian Dale Freestyle yarn. It is machine washable and dryable and even though the yarn tends to split for me, it is a good yarn to use for a little girl's hat. If you have a little girl in your family or close to heart, you really might like to try the "Twist and Sprout" hat pattern.

I learned to knit from my grandmother as a child, but when I was in high school and took a Home Economics class, my teacher taught me continental knitting and since then I love knitting a lot more. It is not the "throwing" kind of knitting, but the "picking" kind and much easier for me to handle and quicker.

Some years ago, I saw a picture of some Norwegian hiking socks in a magazine. I love searching the Internet, and even though it took some time, I found a yarn shop that could help me. There is a Norwegian woman who owns a yarn shop in Ames, Iowa. I wrote to her and asked for help. She found a pattern, in Norwegian, and she actually spent the time translating the pattern into English for me, and then I let her choose the yarn for me. A cream-colored pair of socks for myself and a gray pair for the Trout. Though I now live in Florida and do not need these socks for hiking, you never know when I will be in a cold climate, hiking, and in need of these socks. I love them.

16 comments:

  1. Thanks Grammy - I love it! Love you, Rachel
    PS Are you mailing it today? Hugs and kisses - Tweety

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, Rachel is going to be the cutest girl wherever she goes with that adorable hat. Great colors, awesome style and most important feature ~ made by loving hands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful socks and hat.

    Thanks for visiting me at Delights of the Heart. Yes, France does call in the pictures, doesn't it? It looks like you have been before from a couple pictures in your header.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That hat is absolutely darling. Every little girl in her class will suffer with pangs of envy. I've never met a little person, male or female, who didn't love purple. Come to think of it I love purple especially when worn with red. Best stop there before I give away my age and social affiliations. Have a great day, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, the hat is absolutely adorable! Your grandaughter will rock with that knit hat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the sweetest hat. I haven't done any knitting in years! I wandered off into the world of needlepoint!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are so many exciting things for me, writing a blog, but the most fascinating is meeting new blogger friends. Velva and Barbara have commented today and I see they both live in Florida. Now, how difficult will it be to show up at their homes for cocktails or dinner? Both their blogs look delightful. Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing a little of yourselves.

    Marilyn, I have scanned your blog often. It is a pleasure to have you comment today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am following you now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an adorable hat, Susan. I've tried my hand at knitting over the years, but I just don't have the knack for it. Love the colors you've chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That hat is adorable!! I love it. Too bad I don't knit cause I have a granddaughter and a great niece who would look so cute in it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness Susan, love that hat. You did a wonderful job on it. That's it...I'm inspired...I have two little darling girls in the family and I need to knit this hat for them. I'm checking out the pattern.

    Hope your right and it's not too hard. :/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susan, the hat is adorable. My little Rachel would love it too. I don't knit but I do sew and I am thinking of making her a jumper. Love your socks too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:32 PM

    well this hat is a hit. Make me one-- ha ha -- why should the kids have all the cute stuff. I just loved it. Good job Grammy-- wonder - is that what I should be called? Funny.
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the hat!!! Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am addicted to socks! I have Raynaud's syndrome so my feet are always cold. I'm always on the look out for soft and cozy socks!

    I love the pattern at the top. You do such nice work! I would buy a couple pairs of those from you if you felt like making more. Let me know. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I learned to knit in 4-H in MI, in the 70's. My Daugther (8) is learning now. I bought some yarn yesterday and am now on a mission to knit again. I saw this hat....lOVE it! Way out of my league unless it's an easy stitch?

    Your Grandaughter is a very lucky gal :0)

    Karen B.

    http://karenbcookingmadeeasy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete