Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Onward toward the West!


There has never been a time, while driving to Montana, that my thoughts haven't gone to the American pioneers, traveling west in their stagecoaches, enduring unimaginable hardships along the way. And here we were today, flying through North Dakota with a speed limit of 75 on I-94, with our own hardships. The prairie bonnet was flapping in the strong wind and restrooms seemed to be far and few between. (smile)

The pictures you see are of the Painted Canyon in Teddy Roosevelt National Park in western North Dakota. Untouched by human hands. All of a sudden, out of the flat plains, you come across this sight. And once again, I ponder, what must the pioneers have thought on their first glimpse? We all come from such very strong stock. No doubt about it!

By the way, of interest, did you know there is a small town in western North Dakota named "Home on the Range?"

6 comments:

  1. I wish I could have climbed into your suitcase and went along!!! But I would have missed the Milk Man before we hit Mn.. LOL I cant wait for fall.... I have to say again what a WONDERFUL time we had with you two treasures!!! The Trout is just the best and you, well your sweeter than I ever could have imagined!!! Much love to you!!! and safe travel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments Heidi. Gosh, I can't stop thinking of what fun we had laughing and talking with you and the MilkMan. It is like we have known each other for ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave K.8:01 PM

    Susan, I have always felt the same way ever since I was a child and we as a family visited the West. I don't think we can fathom in the year 2009 the hardships, the sacrifices and hard work the pioneers endured along their way to their new settlements. Not many people today could possibly duplicate the lives of those early settlers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVE the Badlands and the Medora area. I hope you were able to at least stop in Medora and take in a few of the sites. And if you didn't take the side trip through the park you truly missed some beautiful scenery. The first time I went through the park I was about 5 years old. We continue to make the trip every year and I'm so looking forward to it again this year - we'll be there in about three weeks. Can't wait. Travel safe and enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stay safe and enjoy the remainder of the trip. Think of how cool it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No I didn't know about that town.

    I can't imagine spending so much time in the car...hope you have some audio books to listen to!

    ReplyDelete