Friday, July 17, 2009

Back in the waders again!

Schnitzel is letting The Trout blog today! Enjoy!


A rare, quiet run on the roaring Gallatin River.

After 9 months of dry waders, I donned the fly fishing gear and searched out a quiet section of the Gallatin River for some dry fly action. Luckily, there was a very good hatch going on of mayflies and other bugs to get the trout looking up for dry flies. In about 2 hours of fishing (enough for breaking in this old body), I had around 24 hits with 12 or so landed - all rainbows and a couple were decent sized. I hope this is the start of another good year of stalking the wily trout.


This is a decent Rainbow trout a bit bigger than The Milk Man's Wife's Big Son's Brook trout that he proudly showed me during our delightful visit. There is nothing prettier than a brook trout in my opinion although they don't get as big as other trout species. Tight lines Big Son!! The Trout signing off!!!

6 comments:

  1. May your holiday be snag free. That is beautiful country. Say hello to Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy fishing Trout, os "Shit fiske" as we say in Norwegian.....yes, it means exacty what you think it means :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for putting up a picture! I wish we could have fished together - maybe when you come home again. That is a pretty fish!! and mom says she will take me today!! I hope so!
    thank you - Big son...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Trout...sure looks like good eating!!! Glad your fishing so far has been a success!!

    Swing by the shop in Philipsburg when Susan comes...would love to meet you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always think fly fishing looks so peaceful. I've never tried it.

    I used to fish a lot when I was younger. I once caught a 40 lb King Salmon on the Kenai River in Alaska. I also caught quite a few Dolly Varden there. You're right, trout are so pretty. That is a nice one!

    Thanks for stopping by today. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh what a lovely dinner season well and barbecue. I could live on fresh fish, and trout is the best!

    ReplyDelete