Thursday, February 26, 2009

My coffee set


About 10 years ago, my son-in-law, Mike, went to Bosnia with his church to do missionary work. He actually had two different trips over there, one time building a playground for the children and another time helping to rebuild the bomb damaged homes. He lived in the homes with families who had very little, but wanted to know more about the Lord.




He brought me back a coffee set used in Bosnia. It definitely has a Turkish look to it. At one time, every 15 seconds for 2-3 years, Sarajevo was being hit with shells and shrapnel. The people living there took the large shell casings and hammered them flat, polished them and fashioned them into coffee sets, ornaments and ashtrays.




Mike related that the women spent a good part of the day hand grinding coffee beans. They then would put 6 to 8 scoops of the ground coffee into a pot until it boiled over an open flame. The foam was skimmed from the top and then poured into the small carafe you see on the right in the picture.




I have kept the coffee set Mike brought me in my china cabinet, but have never used it. I think the next time Mike comes to visit, I will plan on having coffee with him, as they do in Bosnia. Thanks again, Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment