Tuesday, February 3, 2009

February 3

They call it "The Day the Music Died". Fifty years ago today, at 1 a.m. in the early morning hours of February 3, 1959, Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper died in a plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa. I know the date very well, because it was the day of my 14th birthday. The plane crash also occurred not far from where I was living at the time in Iowa.

My grandfather had died just 4 months before this happened and that had been my first personal experience with death as a child. I knew immediately how final this day was. I was the typical teenager with "45" records and star magazines and loving rock and roll. Why was it always so much easier to learn song lyrics to heart instead of history facts?

Music went on but isn't it amazing how the songs of these 3 men are still being played today? And since it is my birthday, I will add a line myself..."Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm 64?" - The Beatles

P.S. This is also my 100th blog! Who would have ever thought?

1 comment:

  1. I sure as heck still need ya at 64 and many more years after - that's if you can put up with my antics as I grow older - I think we will do fine in the years ahead - love you my dear!! Trout

    ReplyDelete