Monday, February 2, 2009

The Family


I love old pictures and sometimes I imagine myself living during that time. This is one picture I just treasure. On the left is my grandfather(Opa) and Grandmother (Oma). The other couple is Opa's sister Susie and her husband Frank.

Opa was born in Argenta, Illinois in 1881. He married my Oma and lived in the German village in Iowa, but often traveled back to Illinois. The only information written on the back of the picture is "We are going to the Springfield Fair." No year, but I imagine it would have been about 1904-1908.

Recently I made contact with my grandfather's sister's grandson. He was delighted to receive this picture of his grandparents. I love these kind of connections.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:23 AM

    Wow, I see a resemblance of you in Great Oma. You look a lot like her. Love, E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:32 PM

    HEY EVERYONE TOMORROW IS SCHNITZEL'S BIRTHDAY!! TROUT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good evening, Susan,
    thank you so much for your kind comment on my blog! :-)

    The picture in your post is a treasure, good that you know who all the people are. My husband recently discovered an old family group picture in the attic. It is a hundred years old. He is now interviewing older relatives to find out how they were all related (my husband did his post-graduate studies in Champagne, Ill., I had the pleasure to go with him on a nostalgic trip to that beautiful part of the USA).

    ReplyDelete