Thursday, January 1, 2009

Christmas Eve Dinner


Many years ago before the days of color TV there was a cooking show on TV called "The Galloping Gourmet." Graham Kerr was from Australia and got his name from his enthusiasm of jumping over his chopping counter. The Trout and I watched him whenever we could and he must take credit for getting us interested in cooking more than the usual.


One recipe we made often back when the children were young was called "Steak a la Boite." During Christmas, daughter #2 reminded us of this dish which we have not made in a long time. We thought it fitting to finish off the old year with this wonderful tasting dish.


Steak a la Boite


2 x 12 oz beef tenderloin (we used rib eye)

3/4 cup 100% cream

1/4 cup dry white wine

1/4 cup brandy

Clarified butter

Salt, black pepper

1 garlic clove

5 sage leaves

1 spring rosemary

Dash Worcestershire sauce

3 tsp. Dijon mustard


Measure cream, mustard and white wine. Finely chop 2 sage leaves. Peel garlic clove.


Add clarified butter to a pan on the heat. Season steak with squeezed garlic, salt and pepper. Add 3 sage leaves and rosemary sprig to the butter in pan and then add steaks. Seal and cook each side.


Mix mustard with cream, wine and Worcestershire sauce.


Pour off surplus fat from steak and add brandy--set alight. Lower the heat and remove herbs.


Add the cream mixture to the steak, bring to a boil and allow to reduce. Add two minced sage leaves to the sauce. Place on a warmed platter and nap with the sauce.
Happy New Year to all. The Trout and I will be starting off the new year with a game of golf with friends. Friendship is what makes life enjoyable. Have a good day!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:05 AM

    Your post makes my mouth water.
    We will have rømmegrøt for lunch today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds wonderful and very rich. Happy New Year and enjoy your golf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so, did you enjoy? Hope you had a great night. Here's too a devine 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely and rich. You've made me hungry again and my big guy just heard me say "I'll never be hungry again."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan… Thanks for stopping by my blog. As you can see, I started looking through yours and came across this incredible classic from The Galloping Gourmet.

    Graham was one of the first cooks I remember watching, along with Julia Child, on PBS. He was always so much fun to watch and he demonstrated that cooking could be fun. He was an inspiration for me, a guy living at the time in New York City and not able to eat-out as often as I would like. So, he showed me how it was done.

    I look forward to reading more about your travels and delectable culinary experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:29 PM

    This sounds wonderful!!! Galloping Gormet. I laughed so hard during his show. He was so funny and Julia.. I heard their cooking shows instead of education (cooking) were rated as comedy shows. Connie

    ReplyDelete