Tuesday, December 9, 2008

My dad

I've been thinking about my dad a lot the last few days. He was a tall, gentle man and I don't remember him ever raising his voice to me--even after I dented his car as a teenager and slid into the ditch on an icy road.

Dad died in 1996 at the age of 84. He is missed a lot. Twelve years ago, after he died, I got his wrist watch. He was a Shriner and the watch face has a Shriner fez on it. It was very proud of that watch. It has been in my jewelry box these last 12 years. Every once in a while, I pick it up to look at it and every time I do, the second hand starts to move. The battery has not been replaced. It just seems very strange to me after all these years, but it really means a lot, as if dad is watching over me. Thanks daddy.

1 comment:

  1. I can absolutley relate to this post. . I put all those special things in a shadow box complete with their original wedding invitation. . .it is a special remembrance.
    Thank you for your kind words of the Mennonite Girls Can Cook blog,. . we so enjoy sharing our recipes with you. .
    I'm not sure about the cookbook. . but I'll never say never.

    ReplyDelete